Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ethnic Identity II

This week was a little harder to get into than the all the others. Maybe its the hump of spring break or a funk that Im in. Either way I didn't enjoy the readings as much this week. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that most of the readings on Ethinic Identity are starting to run similiar due to the models of identity development with slight tweaks on each other but the overall majority is the same.

The movie in class brought up some interesting points and was very insteresting to see how progressive some of these students were for the 90's but then again it did seem they were in CA so it wasnt a HUGE surprise. I think the movie could have gotten the same points across in shorter time thought it would not have shared as many opinions, which helps to get the point across that being biracial isnt isolated but rather many people experience it. I did like that we did something different in regards to the way we learned. I enjoy the small group stuff, but it it always nice to have a different teaching method, again one of the strengths of this course.

The one thought from the readings that did catch me off guard was the thought that asian and pacific american women feel challenged by white women when speaking on women's issues. I had never really given a lot of thought about this but thinking about it, I can see how that might be felt. I think this thought will also carry over and make our conversation about gender be framed slightly differently or at least my reading a little more critical, which can't necessarily be a bad thing.