Sunday, February 3, 2008

One drop

In an article today in the News and Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/2766/story/920068.html) by Zane, the issue of the "lens of race" persisting it discussed. Zane states "Jim Crow's ugliest racial categories may be gone with the wind, but this fact remains: In 21st-century America, a white woman can give birth to a black child, but a black woman cannot give birth to a white one. Despite our progress, we still subscribe to the one-drop rule forged by hard-line segregationists: A single "tainted" drop of "black blood" makes a child an African-American."

The fact that he brings up baffles me and I hadn't ever considered that, or maybe I have but not in depth. This is very interesting considering I had recently heard this term (one-drop rule) a couple weeks ago as well. I had also been considering it while grappling with my hispanic identity (my maternal grandmother is full) and only being "a quarter". More questions are brought up then answered. When/if I have kids will they be hispanic or white? Does the one-drop rule apply? Would they even identify with hispanic? Being that race is something that is socially constructed and decided for you, would they be assumed white and have to "fight for their hispanic identity" or just give in to societies perceptions and bask in the privledge they are afforded?

The article further goes on to talk about the Democratic race and how race and gender have been a major part, with Race taking the forefront and trying to drum up fear due to stereotypes and how "one-drop" of stereotype can errode an otherwise good person. Zane futher states that "Race-baiting will continue to thrive in American politics as long as we fail to directly challenge the essence of racial caricatures. In the absence of our desire to do so, the campaign has shone a light on race without offering much illumination, according to Duke University historian Timothy B. Tyson."

This is of importance because Tyson highlights the average person's desire to do some introspection and challenge their beliefts. It is one thing to point and say hey "this is what I feel/believe" but another to question why and dig deep. Zane further states:

"Tyson notes that John Edwards launched his campaign in Katrina-ravaged New Orleans and talked about the problems of the poor. Had Obama done it, too many whites would have feared that he would force them to confront things they would rather ignore. Thus, Tyson said, Obama has been forced to walk a tightrope: "He has to be black enough but not too black." "We still seem incapable of having a probing conversation about how America feels about race," he said. "In this election we've just skimmed the surface, raising ideas but never exploring them because they involve the most painful issues of blame, culpability and power.""

I had never thought of that fact either: that if Obama had been in New Orleans to kick off his campaign how fear would have set in. Again its great to say, I want to vote for someone who is Black but another to say I dont want to talk about race. So many things we just take for granted.
I think that Obama's quote about "painful issues" is right on. No one likes to talk about painful issues, but until we bring them out and openly discuss them, we will not get on to the healing process and only breed more fear and pain.

Zane ends his article by saying:
"Obama's historic run shows us how far America has come. But it also suggests how far we still are from realizing Martin Luther King's dream of being a nation where people are not "judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."" I hope that one day I can see his dream come true. We have come a long way but until an overall majority (I don't think EVERYONE can do this) can commit to this, we will have a long walk ahead. Its a journey I am willing to embark on knowing that the road will be rough. One important thing to note is lens and context of this article and blog entry is the idea of thinking in a silo of America. One other thought is that the author of this article, Zane, appears to be White.


While writing this, I am watching the Fox Superbowl Pregame Show and Howie Long brought up an interesting quote: it is by Abraham Lincoln "a man has three names: the name he inherits, the name his parents give him, and the name he makes for himself". Something to think about. I hope that the name I make for myself is that I genuinely am trying to leave the world better than I found it.