Sunday, February 10, 2008

Stereotype threat

So this past Monday after class I forgot to post. Tuesday I forgot to post, Wednesday I forgot to Post....Thursday, Friday, Saturday...I forgot to post. Looking back it is kinda nice that I didnt post and get to post tonight. This past week I was actually able to put what I learned from the readings and class into action. I was working on an assessment project and mentioned that we should ask demographic info at the end. Well I was with a colleague who is working on her EdD and said "because of stereotype threat" and I said "YEA! I just learned that this week" I was so excited 1) to be able to actually use something I learned in class but also 2) that someone else knew what I was talking about. This was exciting, even if the reading wasn't that exciting.

I didn't have any questions from the readings this week. They were fairly straight forward. The one question I did have, I brought up in class and that was how as someone who is percieved white how can we as practioners reach out to those black students who may be pushing away from us. I was satisfied with the answers and discussion from class and brought it up to seek a little clarification and reassurance on the issue but also to bring it up for those who may be thinking it and not want to ask.

I am excited about the discussions we are having in class. The presentations are interesting and have set a tone for the rest of us. I was very intrigued on video that was shown since it was filmed around the Student Union Memorial Center at the University of Arizona (the school I just came from). The sentiments are those that I experienced there. This leads into the issue that I bought up as well as the one that Tony C. mentioned about regionality and the role that it plays into stereotypes and racial interactions. Being that most of the class is from East of the Mississippi, it is a very different perspective that we share.

I am enjoying the readings and class discussions so far. It is getting making my wheels turn in deciding about what I want to research. At this point I am leaning towards something along the lines of how being a member of the union programming board and creating educational/diversity programs enhances their racial development, maybe even focusing on the advisor student relationship or percieved relationship from the students perpective. These are great thoughts and something that I did not expect to get out of the class, especially within the first month. I would have NEVER thought I would look at doing something regarding racial development tied to activities boards.

Another topic that also was brought up this week was Multicultural Competence (MC) during a presentation in a large staff meeting. While the areas were not specifically addressed as skills, knowledge and awareness, I was able to identify the three areas they mentioned. This too was exciting since I was able to talk about something I learned in class during my daily work. One would think that after having a Masters degree this would be fairly common, but it is not. Again maybe its regional since I am learning more about race and multicultural comeptence? Just a thought. During this session I was actually able to think more about my MC and where I am. I think it is daughting and intimidating to say that you are multiculturally competent since I feel it opens you to critique and criticism. But by the terms in the presentation it stated that you would be able to speak in detail about 2 cultures. Given the HUNDEDS if not THOUSANDS of cultures this is a small portion. I guess thats why one can NEVER really achieve full multicultural competence. Its a long road.