The last class we had was on Gender Issues and Dr. Sue Bracken came and spoke with us. I really enjoyed the discussion we had. It was nice to be able to sit and have a candid discussion around an issue. This is not to say every class isn't like this but Dr Bracken had a laid back, "tell all" approach. I think she also provided information for all levels of students.
This class was also my week to do the current event presentation with Mary Elizabeth. We presented on Title IX and its relation to NCAA athletics. This was an interesting topic. I really did not know what to expect when signing up for this week. I just picked a week that I knew would fit my schedule best and felt that I could learn something new. We considered a variety of topics ranging from the changing perception of gender, to body image issues and gender. We finally settled on Title IX. It was intersting to see how far reaching Title IX is and not just related to Athletics. The issue related to increased mens attendance in athletics was a topic that was not what I had expected.
As far as my multicutural competence goes. I am finding that as we go on throughout the semester I find myself wanting to talk more about issues with people. I enjoy increasing my knowledge and awareness. I am beginning to see this translate into skills.
Other interesting things to note is how my job is helping me to be a better student affairs professional. This is something that even a year ago I couldn't have imagined being as far as I am in my multicultural competence as I am. Most recently this can be seen during Pan-Afrikan Week here at NCSU. I have found myself in many situations where I am one of a handful of people at an event that are not African American, yet do not feel uncomfortable. I am having more and more situations where I find myself really thinking about what the campus needs and how I can help that.
I have really enjoyed this class and cannot believe that there are only 3 more weeks. Where has the time gone.